Celebrating, Caring, Community

Bible Verse of the Day

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Our History

Several organizational dates have been given, but according to the minutes of the Western Association of Baptist Church of 1907 , it was organized as the Harwich church in 1844, and retained that the name until 1884 when it was sanctioned that the name be Blenheim Regular Baptist Church.

For years the congregation met at Mr. Samuel; Newcombe’s, Rushton, or English school house.

In the summer of 1868 the congregation decide to build a chapel on Mr. George Morgan’s property.

January 24, 1869 the chapel built opposite the Newcombe cemetery was dedicated. After that services were usually held, in the church.

In 1875 it was decide to build a church in Blenheim. The site was bought from Mrs. Copeland and early in 1876 the plans were drown up. The building was dedicated to Almighty God December 24, 1876 with three services at 11am, 3:00pm and 7:00pm. Professor Torrance preached at the Morning services. Elder Ezra Turner preached in the afternoon and Elder H.P. Fitch at the evening services.

Both Elder Turner and Fitch had been former Ministers.

For a time both buildings were used, alternating between them.

The minister of the Blenheim Congregation had been holding meetings at Buckhorn *cedar Springs) since 1877. In 18800 the frame chapel was moved to site donated by Mr. Charles McGuigan in 1965 and has since been destroyed by fire.

In 1895 the Loyal Club build the organ loft and new pews were installed. About 1903 the church was completed redecorated and stained glass windows and electric lights installed.

As the Sunday school enlarged, the church began acquiring property to rebuild. A lot on Sandy St., the former Tole property, a lot owned by the Masonic Lodge, and other small areas were bought.

The 123rd Anniversary services were held May 21, 1967 with the special speaker, a former Pastor, Rev. George Hetherington in charge. After the morning services the first sod was turned for the new building by Honorary Deacon Todd, after which Deacon Gordon offered prayer.

Sunday, November 19, 1967 at 7:00pm the basement of the new church was officially dedicated to the Glory of God the Father, to the honour of the Lord Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Saviour and to the praise of the Holy Spirit our Comforter, Rev. S.W. Helmer was the guest Speaker.

Since the Sunday school auditorium was completed, there has been a lively interest in erecting the Sanctuary. It culminated in letting the contract for the construction to Mr. Leon VanNeck & Son on May 12, 1973.

On May 5, 1974 we dedicated the completed edifice to the Glory of God and for the advancement of his Kingdom.

Click here to check out a list of our past Pastors.